
Dear Bug,
You weren't supposed to be here
Yet here is where you stand-
Living proof that God heard me
To grant me the most selfish of wishes.
My body just kept saying "No!"
P.C.O.S., fibroids, a cervix longer
Than my womb, inflamed ovaries...
I have one fallopian tube!
And yet, here is where you stand
With outstretched arms.
Sometimes it's easy to forget you're six.
When I'm feeling down
Your hugs are there to greet me;
When I feel angry it is you that
Comes to tell me it's okay;
When I'm sick it is you
That nurses me back to health.
But I do forget you're six:
With a stomp of your foot,
Your hand in the air and a jerk of your neck...
You know you need your ass whooped!
And yet, here you stand
With your arms stretched out,
And love in your eyes.
"I don't know where daddy is, I'm sorry."
"I'm doing homework. Go somewhere."
"I'll paint your nails later. I'm tired."
"Do you know you started out as a stomach flu?
ANd it never went away?!"
"Didn't I just say I had to write this
Poem for class? Go that way!"
But you stood here...
Arms stretched with love in your eyes,
That perfect smile and said
"You're a good mom."

*misty eyes* You and I have more in common than you realize.
ReplyDelete